Peanuts has declared July 31, National Franklin Day. In 1968, shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., a Californian teacher, Harriet Glickman, wrote a letter to Charles Schulz, urging him to include a black character in the line-up.
Charlie Brown first met Franklin on a beach, on July 31, 1968.
- Franklin’s father was a soldier in the Vietnam War.
- He first met Charlie Brown on a beach, July 31, 1968.
- He had no anxieties or obsessions.
- Franklin was shown to be a good dancer in the animated shows.
- He attends school with Peppermint Patty and Marcie (Marcie appears later).
- He is known to quote the Old Testament.
- He thinks highly of his grandfather.
*His last name may be Armstrong (Franklin Armstrong), as seen on television special, You’re in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown, but this was never mentioned in the comic.
Do you have any great stories or memories about Franklin? Share in our comments!